FireRehab News

Date last updated: Wednesday, July 20, 10:02 PST


Print Article | EMail Article to a friend |  |  |

Firefighter hospitalized for dehydration at Calif. fire

By Jessica Bernstein-Wax
The Marin Independent Journal

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. — A firefighter and a nail salon worker were hospitalized after a fire broke out in San Rafael Tuesday morning, causing an estimated $150,000 in damage.

At about 10:10 a.m., a fire was reported at Queen Nails and Spa at 532 Third St. across from United Markets, San Rafael fire Chief Chris Gray said.

Smoke and flames were visible at the building, and salon workers were evacuating the store when firefighters arrived. About 20 firefighters controlled the one-alarm blaze by around 10:30 a.m., limiting it to the first floor.

"They had a well-involved portion at the rear of the building when firefighters made entrance," Gray said. "Fortunately everyone had gotten out safely, and they made a quick attack and knocked down the fire."

No one was home at an apartment on the second floor when the blaze broke out, he added.

Paramedics took one female salon worker and a male firefighter to the hospital with minor injuries. Medical personnel were treating the firefighter for dehydration, Gray said.

The San Rafael Fire Department is still investigating how the blaze started.

"The fire started in the back of the salon area," Gray said. "It's suspected that it's accidental but there were some flammable and combustible materials back there.

"The fire grew very rapidly," he added. "It's fortunate that the occupants of the building were able to get out."

Copyright 2011 Marin Independent Journal, a MediaNews Group publication
All Rights Reserved

Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy

Back to previous page

 Most Popular
12 firefighters overcome by carbon monoxide at blaze Emergency Incident Rehab for firefighters to refuel, recharge The pee chart A CPR Change You Need to Make Energy drinks may be to blame for firefighter's heat stroke
All Popular Articles 


USFA Emergency Incident Rehabilitation Manual IAFC: Fighting Heat Stress U.S. EPA Excessive Heat Events Guidebook (PDF) Agency for Toxic Substances Cyanide FAQ Assistance to Firefighters Grant AFG: DHS/FEMA Fire Act Grant
All Resources 

Press Releases
HeatSeeker Technology & Design Fire Introduces Rehabilitation Products FDNY Makes Largest First Responder Purchase of Masimo Rad-57 Pulse CO-Oximeters to Improve Survival of Firefighters and Victims of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning 343 Technologies and Hothead Technologies Announce Wireless Temperature Sensor for Firefighter Rehab
More Press Releases 

Sponsored By
This site is sponsored by Masimo, the manufacturer of Rad-57, the first non-invasive way of measuring CO in the blood. Request Information
Watch a video demo of the Rad-57™

Copyright 2017
Masimo  FireRescue1  About This Site  Privacy Policy 
Login          My profile 
Powered by: