Firefighter hospitalized for dehydration at Calif. fire
By Jessica Bernstein-Wax
The Marin Independent Journal
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. — A firefighter and a nail salon worker were hospitalized after a fire broke out in San Rafael Tuesday morning, causing an estimated $150,000 in damage.
At about 10:10 a.m., a fire was reported at Queen Nails and Spa at 532 Third St. across from United Markets, San Rafael fire Chief Chris Gray said.
Smoke and flames were visible at the building, and salon workers were evacuating the store when firefighters arrived. About 20 firefighters controlled the one-alarm blaze by around 10:30 a.m., limiting it to the first floor.
"They had a well-involved portion at the rear of the building when firefighters made entrance," Gray said. "Fortunately everyone had gotten out safely, and they made a quick attack and knocked down the fire."
No one was home at an apartment on the second floor when the blaze broke out, he added.
Paramedics took one female salon worker and a male firefighter to the hospital with minor injuries. Medical personnel were treating the firefighter for dehydration, Gray said.
The San Rafael Fire Department is still investigating how the blaze started.
"The fire started in the back of the salon area," Gray said. "It's suspected that it's accidental but there were some flammable and combustible materials back there.
"The fire grew very rapidly," he added. "It's fortunate that the occupants of the building were able to get out."
Copyright 2011 Marin Independent Journal, a MediaNews Group publication
All Rights Reserved