Bookmark
FireRehab News
 

Date last updated: Tuesday, January 15, 6:11 PST


01/15/2013

Print Article | EMail Article to a friend |  | New: Discuss this Article |


CO leak in school hospitalizes 28 children


The Associated Press
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — More than two dozen students have spent the night in a hospital after carbon monoxide leaked at their Nashville private school.

Drexel Preparatory Academy principal Cheryl Bowman told WTVF-TV students began coming to the office Monday morning complaining of flu-like symptoms. Officials decided to cancel classes.

After students were sent home, the school got a call from Vanderbilt University Children's Hospital, saying several students had been brought in and showed high levels of carbon monoxide.

Workers found a hole in a heating unit that serves the central part of the school, where the kindergarten and first-grade classes are located.

Twenty-eight students were admitted to the hospital and put on oxygen overnight. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced by combustion.




Associated PressCopyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.







Back to previous page


 Most Popular
Group provides rehab for firefighters in Texas heat Researchers test firefighters in extreme heat, cold Fla. firefighters respond to high CO levels at Wal-Mart When is a fire truck not a fire truck? Cyanide poisoning poses hidden threat
All Popular Articles 


FireRehab Communications
6 keys to rehab plan; Research examines overhaul risk | July 30, 2015 Science looks at FF fitness; Mental toll of responding to loved one | May 21, 2015
All Newsletters
Resources

USFA Emergency Incident Rehabilitation Manual IAFC: Fighting Heat Stress U.S. EPA Excessive Heat Events Guidebook (PDF) Agency for Toxic Substances Cyanide FAQ Assistance to Firefighters Grant AFG: DHS/FEMA Fire Act Grant
All Resources 

Press Releases
HeatSeeker Technology & Design Fire Introduces Rehabilitation Products FDNY Makes Largest First Responder Purchase of Masimo Rad-57 Pulse CO-Oximeters to Improve Survival of Firefighters and Victims of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning 343 Technologies and Hothead Technologies Announce Wireless Temperature Sensor for Firefighter Rehab
More Press Releases 

Sponsored By
This site is sponsored by Masimo, the manufacturer of Rad-57, the first non-invasive way of measuring CO in the blood. Request Information
Watch a video demo of the Rad-57™


Copyright 2015
Masimo  FireRescue1  About This Site  Privacy Policy 
Login          My profile 
Powered by: