6 Neb. firefighters treated for CO poisoning after medical call
By FireRescue1 Staff
GRAND ISLAND, Neb. — Six firefighters and a police officer suffered carbon monoxide poisoning while responding to a medical call Tuesday.
Responders arrived at a home to treat a man and woman who were unresponsive, reported the Omaha World-Herald. The man was not breathing and was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Firefighters and a police officer went to the hospital after their carbon monoxide monitor alarm went off. Blood and urine samples were taken from the responders at the hospital; some complained of headaches. Oxygen was administered to the responders after it was concluded they had high levels of carbon monoxide.
They were later released from the hospital.
“As far as I’m aware, everyone’s doing well today,” Grand Island Fire Chief Cory Schmidt said. ‘We let them off-duty last night as a precaution.”