Bookmark
FireRehab News
 

Date last updated: Wednesday, June 14, 19:04 PST


06/14/2017

Print Article | EMail Article to a friend |  |  |


Carbon monoxide leak sickens 32 people in NYC


By Jennifer Peltz
Associated Press

NEW YORK — A carbon monoxide leak in a building three blocks from the World Trade Center sickened 32 people and raised alarm that shuttered several busy blocks in lower Manhattan at the start of the workday Tuesday, authorities said.

The problem ultimately was traced to a broken boiler pipe in a grocery store basement, Fire Department Chief of Department James Leonard said. But people started feeling faint around 8:30 a.m. just as a worker opened a package in the basement, stirring worries that the parcel might have been poisonous.

The concern brought a police bomb squad and FBI agents to the scene. Authorities ultimately determined the package wasn't hazardous, Leonard said. It contained salad bowls.

"A prudent person could make that connection — that 'the box opened, then we passed out.' But between the fire department and the police department, we ruled out that type of incident," he said.

The grocery store, called Amish Market, and the apartments above in the 12-floor building were evacuated as firefighters measured carbon monoxide levels that maxed out their meters in some places. The meters measure up to 1,000 parts per million, enough to "render you unconscious very, very quickly," Leonard said.

The normal level of carbon monoxide in a house can be from under one to 15 ppm, depending on whether there's a gas stove, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

While some people passed out in the store, called and its basement, all the injuries were relatively minor, Leonard said.

A person who answered the store's phone later Tuesday said no managers would be available to comment for the rest of the day.

Streets were cordoned off and emergency vehicles massed for several blocks around the building in the chic TriBeCa neighborhood. Small crowds clumped at police lines, tourists snapped photos and workers and residents tried to find out how to get where they were going.

The fire department's preliminary reports described the emergency as a basement fire, but officials later clarified that it was a leak.

Authorities began lifting the lines before noon.

 

 

 




Associated PressCopyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.





Back to previous page


 Most Popular
Rethinking firefighter critical-incident debriefings Energy drinks may be to blame for firefighter's heat stroke Considerations in Purchasing Rehab Equipment for Emergency Personnel Fire-Dex unveils a new clothing system approach to advance firefighter safety Non-invasive Screening for CO and MET
All Popular Articles 


Resources

USFA Emergency Incident Rehabilitation Manual IAFC: Fighting Heat Stress U.S. EPA Excessive Heat Events Guidebook (PDF) Agency for Toxic Substances Cyanide FAQ Assistance to Firefighters Grant AFG: DHS/FEMA Fire Act Grant
All Resources 

Press Releases
HeatSeeker Technology & Design Fire Introduces Rehabilitation Products FDNY Makes Largest First Responder Purchase of Masimo Rad-57 Pulse CO-Oximeters to Improve Survival of Firefighters and Victims of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning 343 Technologies and Hothead Technologies Announce Wireless Temperature Sensor for Firefighter Rehab
More Press Releases 

Sponsored By
This site is sponsored by Masimo, the manufacturer of Rad-57, the first non-invasive way of measuring CO in the blood. Request Information
Watch a video demo of the Rad-57™


Copyright 2017
Masimo  FireRescue1  About This Site  Privacy Policy 
Login          My profile 
Powered by: